My Mother

My Mother
The original Miss Jones.

Tuesday 28 September 2010

The Ryder Cup Effect.

Colin Montgomerie with one of the Newport dragons.



As I live in Newport, I thought this small city cannot host the Ryder Cup and me not mention it in my blog! Then I saw this picture of Colin Montgomerie with one of the Newport dragons and thought I would post a short piece.

Newport is supposedly poised to maximise the economic boost from the Ryder Cup 2010.  We are told that the city has benefited from 1,600 jobs and around £98 million has been poured into the economy since 2003.  There is no doubt that since 2001, when Newport's Celtic Manor Resort won the right to host the 2010 Ryder Cup that this new city has been transformed.  There have been much needed road improvements, particularly on the A449 and the Coldra round about, and Newport has definitely been propelled into the international spotlight.  But what about the long term effects? I hear that the Welsh Assembly are planning to bring more sporting events to Newport in the coming years, but will all this give Newport a future?

This city is best known for the Chartists riots, It remains to be seen if the aftermath from the Ryder Cup can usurp this notorious history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on these postings.