My Mother

My Mother
The original Miss Jones.

Tuesday 14 September 2010

A literary coincidence?

 The Boathouse, Llaugharne


 On our return journey home from Pembrokeshire, my cousin and I stopped off at Laugharne.  Neither of us had been there for many years and decided it was time to return.  Lying on the estuary of the river Taf is this lovely home of Dylan Thomas.  He lived there from 1949 until his death in 1953.  It is said that Laugharne is probably the town that inspired Thomas when he wrote about the fictitious town of Llareggub in 'Under milk Wood'.


It was amazing that on my first day back at college today (2nd year HND course with the University of Newport Wales) the tutor should ask us to read short stories for homework, recommending Dylan Thomas's 'A Child's Christmas in Wales' as the one for student discussion next week.  There followed a question and answer session on Dylan Thomas and his lifestyle, which was good for me as I was able to shine with my recently refreshed memory of some of his work and background - unusual for something to go my way!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on these postings.