My Mother

My Mother
The original Miss Jones.

Thursday 28 October 2010

Superdragon Auction.


 
Goldie Lookin Dragon
 What a fun night last night was!  I found myself at the Superdragon auctions at the Riverfront Theatre, Newport. The atmosphere was one of excitement, and I certainly don't think either of the two charities were expecting to raise the amount of money that was actually raised last night - almost £100,000!

The two benefiting charities were Tenovus and Born Free. I was thrilled to bits when I found myself sitting next to the founder member of the Born Free charity -  Virginia Mckenna!  What a smartly dressed lady, and an intelligent one at that! That wasn't my only surprise of the night by a long way.  As a huge fan of Eastenders, I was thrilled to pieces when John Altman (Nasty Nick Cotton) came on to introduce the Superdragons to the bidders. What a nice man he is, so totally different from his character in Eastenders. He was genuinely interested in what was going on and took the time to really look at the dragons. You can always tell when someone is genuinely interested.  He has been a patron of the Born free trust for many years we were told.

The dragon pictured above 'Goldie Lookin Dragon' went for £1,900.  There were two absolutely beautifully dragons, that I had not see on my trail earlier in the year, because they had been I the Celtic Manor. They went for £4,900 and £8,000 respectively.

When 'Elvis' came up for sale, the curtain went back and we were treated to an Elvis Presley impersonator act, which as really good.  The Newport rock band 'Goldie Lookin Chain' were on stage at one point, but only in a supporting role, not performing.

I have had enough to say in the past about Newport City Council and their inefficiencies, but through this summer, with the 2010 Summer Festival, they have come up trumps!.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on these postings.