My Mother

My Mother
The original Miss Jones.

Wednesday 6 October 2010

A Mixed day.

Having driven home after a family funeral in my home town yesterday and feeling very nostalgic, I had a phone call from friend Anne asking if I would like to go to the cinema last night.  I thought I would, I needed to be shaken out of the mood that hangs over you after a funeral.
 
We went to see Eat Pray Love with Julia Roberts. The book of the same title was written by Elizabeth Gilbert, a sort of travelogue of her travels to Rome, India and Indonesia and it's true story.


It's about emotional growth essentially.  A woman realises that she is not getting what she wants from life, and, after a painful divorce sets out on a journey of self discovery that takes her around the world.

 Elizabeth Gilbert walks out on her marriage when she realises that it is no longer what she wants. It is a kind of travelogue of her travels really. Even though millions of us can empathise with her need to get away from a marriage that isn't working, how many of us can take a unpaid 'year out' travelling the world to 'find ourselves', and for such a protracted period of time? However, it was a pleasant few hours, and even if some people were green with envy of her financial ability to do such a thing, it was well worth watching for the scenery!  For me it was just the kind of escapism I needed after a mournful day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on these postings.