My Mother

My Mother
The original Miss Jones.

Tuesday 30 March 2010

Mr. Amazing and Beautiful Bruge.


Having been a divorcee for some time now I am used to this status in life. All the hurt and the bitterness out of way, I am getting on really well with life. This weekend saw me on a cruise to Bruge, but I couldn't begin to start talking about that adventure without mentioning my first trip to Bruge.
It was about twelve years ago; I was with my then partner who wanted to show me this amazing part of Europe, this unique little place tucked away in the Low Countries that had preserved its appearance in such a striking way. The market square, indeed the whole town, is dominated by halls and belfries dating back to the 13th century. It was a magical weekend and we stayed at the hotel pictured above. I passed this hotel again last weekend and for the first time I thought about Mr. Amazing for while.



Why do I call him that, well - he was amazing to me, an amazing courtship, life together, marriage and a spectacular divorce on the grounds of his adultery with a close friend. You see, he didn't do anything un-amazing, even down to sleeping with a friend. But this weekend I thought about him and the good times and then about him with her now and reflected on how shallow he is. It's me who is amazing, amazing to put up with his philandering, amazing to move around the country at his whim (career prospects) amazing to have survived a bout of heavy drinking during and after his betrayal, and amazing to realise that life is more emotionally settling without him.




So thank you lovely Bruge for allowing me the little indulgence of pondering on the past for a while and bringing me to the safe conclusion that I am better off where I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on these postings.