My Mother

My Mother
The original Miss Jones.

Thursday 28 August 2014

A Literary Evening.

I went to my second Literary Evening on Sunday.  This is not something I discovered through my studies but was introduced to me by my sister, herself a Professor at Kingston University.  This second evening in a sequence of planned events was a talk on the work and life of Daphne du Maurier.  I love the gothic genre and du Maurer's writing; this was an opportunity to learn more and I certainly did.

I didn't realise that Daphne du Maurier had written so many books, including 'The Birds' made famous by Alfred Hitchcock in the movie of the same name. There are the ones we all know of course, Rebecca, Jamaica Inn, My Cousin Rachel and so on, but there are some that I didn't know of.  These books of course head a list of 'must reads' for me. Mary Anne, The House on the Strand, The Scapegoat and so on...

The evening is held at my family's recently acquired hotel 'The Dragon Inn' in Crickhowell, but more of that in another posting.  The evening is held in a private dining room, discreetly lit with candles, and a three course dinner is served on a refectory type table.  A glass of chilled Presecco is served upon arrival with the meal  served shortly afterwards.  The menu is extensive and the food wonderful.  This is all inclusive with the talk (complete with visual aids) for £25 per person.  A total number of approximately 30 people will have tickets.  It's a first come, first served basis and sadly a lot of people are disappointed; but if you feel this sort of evening is for you, make inquiries early!

It was a lovely evening with like minded people, and a thoroughly enjoyable one.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on these postings.