My Mother

My Mother
The original Miss Jones.

Sunday 14 August 2011

Seagulls

I live in an urban area.  This summer there has been a huge rise in the seagull population around these street.  I agree that we are approximately five miles from the sea, but as the crow flies (or seagulls in this case) that is not too far obviously.


                                 This is the kind of thing that greets me when I open the doors in the morning.

I know that seagull population is soaring and are proving a serious headache in urban Britain. Noise, mess, and the threat of physical attack have prompted a range of measures aimed at repelling the winged invaders. But as efforts to curb them fail, the gulls get ever more aggressive. But I have never seen them in these parts in such numbers.

One perched on top of my car a few mornings ago, but soared away before I could capture the scene with my camera. Conservationists say the problem is partly the result of human actions. According to the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), Europe's largest wildlife conservation charity, the loss of cliff-top breeding sites to coastal development and depleted fish stocks at sea are propelling the inland migration. Well, they know where to go.  Last week there were dozens in Asda's car park, not too far from the city centre.

"Heaven for a gull is any place with lots of open-top litter bins, flat roofs on which to nest, and tourists feeding you in summer," said Grahame Madge, RSPB spokesperson. Well, I don't know that we get many tourists in Newport (and who can blame tourists staying away from the city centre? - That's another subject), but there are plenty of flat roofs and open top litter bins in the suburbs.

"Seagulls are very territorial and protective of their young," said Madge. "Most incidents occur during the summer breeding season when fledglings leave their nests but are still unable to fly. If someone gets too close, the parents will defend their young. The intention is not to strike people, but deter them from coming nearer."


Menacing?

As an observer in this area this summer I can see that with so many gulls living next to humans, the two are bound to come into conflict eventually. I don't know what the answer is, and I don't mind them personally, but if they came too close, I guess I wouldn't be too pleased!


























No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on these postings.