My Mother

My Mother
The original Miss Jones.

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Bank Holiday Monday

I was asked to go to Llancaiach Fawr Manor on Bank Holiday Monday. I was told it was on the B4252 between Nelson and Gelligaer. I simply couldn't place it.  In the past I had been very knowledgeable in that area, but this I couldn't bring to mind; this tourist attraction that everyone seems to know about but me.

Llancaiach Fawr Manor.
The reason for this I have found out, is that it was simply a dilapidated manor house when I knew the area in the 1960/70s.  Restoration commenced in 1991.


Visitors today step into the Manor House restored and furnished as it would have been in 1645. All the furnishings in the rooms are accurate reproductions of items from the time of the Prichards and many of the originals can be found in the Museum of Welsh Life at St. Fagans. It has all been done extremely well and deserves it's popular status.  It also attracts people into the valleys where the economy requires boosting.


In a recent poll Llancaiach Fawr was named as one of the Top Ten most haunted buildings in Britain. Strange things have been experienced in almost every room, along corridors and upon stairs. Things seen, heard or felt, or sometimes odours in the air of violets or lavender - and on some occasions, roast beef!

Whether it is haunted or not, it's a nice day out. I am glad I went.  They had a dog show in the grounds on Monday, and that was fun.  They have an extensive range of events coming up for the Autumn and Christmas.  I was very impressed by the whole experience and shall certainly be going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on these postings.