My Mother

My Mother
The original Miss Jones.

Friday 29 July 2011

Visit No: 2 to Blaenavon

The Big Pit National Coal Museum
My friend and I are amazed that this town still has more to offer!  After a second visit, we are planning a third to finish off our tour of this interesting town. Who would have thought it?

The Big Pit National Coal Museum is dedicated to the Welsh heritage of coal mining. This pit was part of the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century.  The pit was first worked in 1860 and was a working mine until it's closure in 1980. Big Pit is adjacent to the preserved Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway, and was opened to visitors in 1983. Today it is preserved under the auspices of the National Museum for Wales. I have enjoyed both my visits, and the information provided on the history is user friendly and informative.


The Pit Head Baths


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on these postings.